1 (computer science) rules determining the format and transmission of data [syn: communications protocol]
2 forms of ceremony and etiquette observed by diplomats and heads of state
3 code of correct conduct; "safety protocols"; "academic protocol"
Etymologyprotocole, protocollum, from [Πρωτόκολλο (Πρώτο+κολλάω)] the first leaf glued to the rolls of papyrus and the notarial documents, on which the date was written; prw^tos the first (see Proto- + glue.)
- A rule, guideline, or document which guides how an activity should be performed.
- The original copy of any writing, as of a deed, treaty, dispatch, or other instrument.
- The minutes, or rough draft, of an instrument or transaction.
- In the context of "diplomacy": A preliminary document upon the basis of which negotiations are carried on.
- In the context of "diplomacy": A convention not formally ratified.
- In the context of "diplomacy": An agreement of diplomatists indicating the results reached by them at a particular stage of a negotiation.
- A set of formal rules describing how to transmit data, especially across a network. A message syntax or electrical specification and a description 2 or more communication nodes: finite state machines, the transition functions of which take messages or times as input and, when then so triggered, may themselves send messages.
- , : To make a protocol of.
- , : To make or write protocols, or first drafts; to issue protocols.
A Protocol is a set of guidelines or rules.
Protocol may also refer to:
In computing and internet
- Communications protocol, a set of rules governing communication between electronic devices
- Protocol (computing), a set of rules governing communication within and between computing endpoints
- File Transfer Protocol or FTP
- Hypertext Transfer Protocol or HTTP
- Internet protocol suite or TCP/IP
- Protocol (object-oriented programming)
- Cryptographic protocol
In scientific method
In Russian texts
In other uses
protocol in Bulgarian: Протокол
protocol in Catalan: Protocol
protocol in Czech: Protokol
protocol in Danish: Protokol
protocol in German: Protokoll
protocol in Spanish: Protocolo
protocol in Esperanto: Protokolo
protocol in Basque: Sare protokolo
protocol in Persian: ??????
protocol in French: Protocole
protocol in Galician: Protocolo
protocol in Indonesian: Protokol
protocol in Italian: Protocollo
protocol in Hebrew: פרוטוקול
protocol in Hungarian: Protokoll
protocol in Malay (macrolanguage): Protokol
protocol in Dutch: Protocol
protocol in Japanese: プロトコル
protocol in Korean: 프로토콜
protocol in Norwegian: Protokoll
protocol in Polish: Protokół
protocol in Portuguese: Protocolo
protocol in Russian: Протокол
protocol in Slovenian: Protokol
protocol in Finnish: Protokolla
protocol in Swedish: Protokoll
protocol in Vietnamese: Giao thức
protocol in Ukrainian: Протокол
accord, agenda, agreement, amenities, arrangement, authority, bargain, batting order, bill, bill of fare, binding agreement, blueprint, bond, budget, calendar, card, carte du jour, cartel, civilities, civility, collective agreement, comity, compact, concordat, consortium, contract, convention, conventions, courtliness, covenant, covenant of salt, customs, deal, decencies, decorum, dicker, diplomacy, diplomatic code, docket, draft, elegance, elegancies, employment contract, etiquette, exquisite manners, form, formal agreement, formalities, formality, good form, good manners, ironclad agreement, legal agreement, legal contract, lineup, list of agenda, manners, memorandum, menu, minute, mores, mutual agreement, natural politeness, note, outline, pact, paction, playbill, point of etiquette, politeness, politesse, practice, program, program of operation, programma, promise, proprieties, prospectus, punctilio, quiet good manners, roster, rules of conduct, schedule, slate, social code, social conduct, social graces, social procedures, social usage, stipulation, transaction, treaty, understanding, union contract, usage, valid contract, wage contract